What if I told you there’s a great way to earn gift cards towards future flights that doesn’t involve opening a single credit card? What’s more, you can use your holiday shopping to help you earn them. Earn travel dollars with the Drop App; Amy Phillips walks you through how to do it.
Editor’s Note: Today’s post is by guest blogger, Amy Phillips. Amy caught the travel bug a few years ago and now uses credit card points and miles to travel the world for pennies on the dollar. It’s been said that the apple does not fall far from the tree. I’m proud to have my daughter, Amy, share her insights with you to get the most out of your Travel Hacking credit cards.
The Drop app lets you earn points through purchases made at a variety of brick and mortar and online stores. You redeem the points for gift cards. One of the current gift card redemption options is a $100 American Airlines gift card.
Here’s How it Works
- Download the Drop app from the Apple App Store here: Apple App Store. Or, download from Google Play here: Google Play. Use code jtbtk for $5 worth of free points when you link your first credit card.
- Link any credit or debit card. Then, the Drop app will walk you through with simple steps. Editor’s note: I’ve linked all of my credit cards to the Drop app to make sure I earn every possible point towards my travel hacking goals.
- Choose your super offers (these are offers that will always be activated. Mine include Trader Joe’s, Walgreens, and Target. Every time I shop at these stores in person or online, I receive 10-15 points for every dollar I spend. Editor’s note: I’ve linked, Uber, Amazon and Whole Foods to my Drop app.
- Now, you can choose additional offers from a number of categories including Apparel, Pets, and Travel & Vacations. You earn many of these offers by shopping online, through your mobile device or computer. Generally, these offers have higher point values. I’ve seen these offers anywhere from 15 points per dollar up to 300 points per dollar. The additional offers include many stores. You can rack up a lot of points if you use these offers strategically for your holiday shopping or larger purchases. Additionally, some offers give a one-time points bonus for subscribing to a service such Blue Apron, which awards 35,000 points when you sign up for a meal delivery subscription for the first time.
- Redeem your points for gift cards. Drop offers a wide range of gift cards at price points from $5-$100. Currently, there’s an American Airlines $100 gift card that can be redeemed for 100,000 points. It may sound like a lot of points. However, if you capitalize on earning points through holiday shopping and purchases of big-ticket items, you’ll be able to earn the points fairly quickly.
A Few Tips
After you make five purchases through any of your offers, you have the opportunity to play the supercharge game and win bonus points. This is a way to earn extra points without having to spend anything in addition. Go to the “my offers” tab to track your progress towards the supercharge game or to play the game.
The point amounts for additional offers may vary. I recently used a Sephora offer that was 60 points per dollar . When I checked again a few days later, the offer was down to 40 points per dollar spent. This is the nature of any offer. It is always subject to change.
Don’t forget to use code jtbtk to earn an additional $5 when you link your first card. So there you have it. A quick guide on how to earn travel dollars with the Drop app.